A hastily scribbled note on a crumpled list of fixtures was all that remained.
* Top score: 10 – Janet Roberts
* Total players: 40/43
* Total points scored by 40 predictors: 247
* Average score: 6.17 (almost 3 points lower than last week’s 9.05)
* Prediction of the Week: Simon Gold & Marek Phillips for Liverpool 4 Burnley 0
* Jokers played: 0
* Yellow cards: 3 (all 3 scored 0 points as there were no draws this week)
* Red cards: 0
* Sanjiv Sachdev scored 8 points without finding a correct score: clever
* Janet Roberts & Dave Taylor: 8 correct results
* Joe Zalewski’s 1 point is for Sunday’s games only ANOTHER HOLIDAY
â€˜Holy Poets! The Moonerazziâ€™s been taken and look at those red stains on the wall!â€™ Ted Warland turns to Matt Wayne in despair.
â€˜And that â€˜s not the worst of it, Tedâ€™ warns Matt as he strides up to examine the marks.
â€˜Letâ€™s hope thatâ€™s only beetroot, but they are more than meaningless dorbs. Somethingâ€™s been written in that juice.â€™
The boys look closer and sure enough, the words slowly emerge from between the mottled plaster:
Here’s a riddle for you: What’s black and white and re(a)d all over? No, not a newspaper: its the Chairman dripping beetroot juice all over his leather outfit at an Alvin Stardust karaoke night… (When oh when is the Moonerazzi going to release the photos?)
â€˜Holy root vegetables Matt. You know what this means, donâ€™t you?â€™
â€˜Yes Ted. And itâ€™s all my fault. With all those Predictors on holidays I let my guard slip and now the Moonerazziâ€™s being held ransom by my arch enemy.â€™
â€˜Yes, that Riddler, Matt. He makes my blood boil.â€™ replies Ted, spitting at the wall.
â€˜If only it was, Ted. But thatâ€™s not the Riddler â€“ thatâ€™s just one of his evil ploys to throw us off the scent.â€™
â€˜Look hereâ€™. and Matt stoops down to pick something up off the floor.
â€˜Pie crumbs. I was right. This is the work of the Penguin. And look at my cape. Those violet threads must have come off the wall when I stepped forward to examine itâ€™.
â€˜Holy top hats Matt. Letâ€™s hope she doesnâ€™t give into his demands. Who knows what could happen if those photos fall into the wrong hands!’